SUBMISSIONS FOR BIFF 2016 ARE NOW CLOSED
2016 GENERAL SUBMISSION RULES
- In order for films to be considered the films must have been completed after January 1, 2015.
- Only narrative films are eligible. No documentary films will be accepted.
- All non-English films must subtitled or dubbed into English.
- The film must be submitted on DVD (NTSC), BluRay (NTSC), or by posting to FilmFreeway.com. Film Freeway accepts digital submissions via HD upload, Vimeo or YouTube.
- The selected films must be available for projection in autoplay DVD or BluRay with no separate soundtrack.
- A “short” shall be a film of under 30 minutes and a “feature” shall be a film 60 minutes or longer.
- The submitting person shall be either a producer, director or authorized agent of the film.
- By submitting the film, the producer or director affirms that the film has all necessary photo, product and music clearances and Big Island Film Festival, LLC shall be held harmless for any errors or omissions.
- Multiple submissions must be submitted individually on separate DVDs and entry forms. Multiple submissions or compilations on DVD are not accepted.
- Selection to the festival and selection of Golden Honu Award winners shall be determined by the Big Island Film Festival’s panel of judges.
- Other than for Audience Choice Awards, films need not be represented in order to be eligible for Golden Honu Awards. However, those who win Golden Honu Awards and are not in attendance at the Awards Brunch will be held responsible for the cost of shipping awards.
- All materials included on entry form checklist and non-refundable entry fee must be submitted to the festival by entry deadlines.
- Selection to Big Island Film Festival will be made by email. Please make certain that we have current email. Always include name of film project in all correspondence.
- No screeners and submission materials will be returned.
- If film is selected for Big Island Film Festival, film may be shown up to two more times as part of promotion of Big Island Film Festival.
- If selected for the festival, the applicant will provide a digital media kit to the festival no later than April 1, 2016, if no media kit is on FilmFreeway.com. The media kit will include: 50 words or less biography of producer, screenwriter and director; at least one color production photo; news clippings (if applicable). A film trailer is requested for website, FB and Twitter if available.
- No airfare or lodging for filmmakers will be provided by the festival, although the festival will provide special filmmaker rate at our festival hotel. Airfare discounts may be available to filmmakers, as well as all festival participants. Please do not take this as not appreciating filmmakers; we simply do not have the resources to provide airfare or lodging for our filmmakers. Each film selected will receive up to two all-inclusive Filmmaker Passes for use by their representatives attending. These passes are not transferable. Additional tickets and/or passes may be purchased at special 25% discount.
- Fees and Deadlines – Fees are non-refundable.
||Early: Nov. 1, 2015
||Regular: Jan. 1, 2016
||Final: Feb. 1, 2016
*25% discount of non-discounted entry fee if filmed in Hawaii or by Hawaii resident filmmaker or BIFF Alumni.
** Students must include a photocopy of his or her student ID and no other discounts will apply.
Discounted projects must be submitted directly instead of through FilmFreeway.com. Discount may be either Hawaii Film or Student or Alumni.(only 1 discount may be applied) Address show on submission paperwork.
Payment may be made by check, money order, or by credit card (Visa, MasterCard or American Express). A 4% processing fee will be applied to all credit card payments.
Download 2016 GENERAL SUBMISSION RULES